Thursday, July 10, 2008

What to say...

Writer's block already?? There is a certain pressure when you're writing things that everyone will see. You worry if your spelling and grammar are correct, you worry if your writing is boring, you worry if anyone will ever read what you have written!

I'll share a secret with you - I will soon have a Master's Degree in English (done with all course work, just completing my thesis). I have written my fair share - I love to write, almost to a fault. As I begin my blog, I'm still having writer's block! Maybe my expertise/ experience is what's blocking me?? Maybe I've put some subconscious expectations on myself !?!

I guess I need to go back to the basics and remember two things I've told my students over and over - 1) If you want to be a better writer/ reader, you need to write and read more! 2) Recognize your audience and decide your purpose for writing. Sounds like good advice, huh? We'll see if I can take it. Number 1 shouldn't be hard - I'm not in the habit of reading many blogs, but one of my favorite genres happens to be Life Writing, so that shouldn't be hard. Number 2, I'm good with because my purpose of writing is to document the happenings in our lives. I've never regretted even the smallest, seemingly insignificant detail I've captured about my kids. It's always fun to visit those memories. And let's face it, no matter how good our memories are, time has a way of dulling reality. So when you write things down, it helps preserve those memories. And that, exactly, is my purpose for writing!

No comments: