Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Perfect Combination


My little boy...there is not a more feisty, yet thoughtful little 5 year old boy! Just when you think he's the most rambunctious, snips and snails little creation you could imagine, you get to see this side of him: caring, hilarious, gentle, thoughtful, intelligent. I remember his teachers at school his 4 year old year telling me a story about Bryson that really represents that side of him. He was 4, and there was a special needs boy in his class for the summer. This boy was older than the other kids, but he was put in Bryson's class. His teachers described the boy as sweet, but quite a handful. They said that most of the kids in the class were scared of him and left him out. They told me that, without being asked to, Bryson took the initiative to befriend this boy. They all picked a friend to hold hands with when they were in line. Bryson began to pick Nathan. They told me that what struck them was that Bryson didn't hesitate while the other children seemed scared. They told me that story on the last day in their classroom - it really made me appreciate this little guy and the person he was becoming. Now, on the flip-side, you've got to understand that these very same teachers would tell you, also, that Bryson could most definitely be a tooter! He and another boy in that class really fed off of each other. Many a time did I pick Bryson up and see that 'I have something to tell you' look on his face. Before the teacher could even tell me what had happened, he was telling me, and we were talking about his poor choice and what he could do better next time. I've always had him apologize to his teacher right there, and of course, there were those darn consequences - grounding from a video game for the day or from the tv.

I learned early last year that Bryson and Camryn are different creatures! With Camryn, I always found myself asking this question after picking her up from school: "Was everyone a good friend to you today?" She was laid-back and a pleaser. She tended to give other kids their way just to keep from rocking the boat, and I tried to gently encourage her that she was precious, too, and deserved to be treated well by her friends. Foolishly, I just assumed the same to be true of Bryson, and I would ask him that question. In the spring of 2007, I was teaching at WTAMU, and I had some friends watch Bryson on Friday mornings and take him to gymnastics with them. On a watch day at gymnastics, I found out that I had misread my darling son. Instead of asking him how others had treated him that day, I realized that I needed to work on reminding Bryson, beforehand, ways to keep his self-control and behave! Although all of Bryson's misbehaving is typical little boy stuff - talking when the teacher is talking, being crazy with a friend, we always reiterate to him that he must behave and respect his teachers. So, I ended up conceding to his teacher this year that I pretty much expected him to be a rowdy boy, but that I demanded that once he was corrected, he mind and straighten up. And we always let him and his teachers know that we would stand behind punishments if he didn't. I am a total advocate for my children. However, I have seen too many parents blindly advocate for their children to a detriment to the kids.

I am proud of my boy - boyish, rowdy, crazy, amazing, truthful, caring, intuitive. In all of his antics at school, I am the most proud of this: Bryson has never hurt one person. Bryson has never told a lie. Bryson never got on 'red' (color behavior chart of green - good, yellow - warning, red - big trouble). I can't wait to see the man he becomes! If he can keep up this kind of integrity and fun all mixed up together, I know he will be amazing!

After enjoying a day at the spa recently that my sweet mother-in-law won and gave to me, I had recounted to my family all of the treatments: full massage on a heated bed under furry covers, lunch with wine, pedicure, manicure, facial - oh, it was lovely!! Well, Bryson got the idea that he would give me the treatment 'because you're such a good Mommy.' He tells me that when Camryn and I get back from camp next week, he's going to give me a 'pan-ee-cure' and put me on a heating pad and fix my face with 'rack-a-mole' and cucumbers on my eyes! I LOVE THIS BOY!!! I pray for his wife already, and I know that he'll make an awesome husband for her!!

My friend, Tracy, sent me an email today that was so cute. Her daughter, Emma and Bryson are the same age. The Stewarts moved to Houston 2 years ago, and the kids haven't seen each other since, but spent tons of time together practically from birth until they moved (yes, we're still a little angry at them!!:)) After another little boy was telling Emma that she was his girlfriend and that they would get married, Emma said, "I can't be your girlfriend, and I already know who I'm going to marry - it's Bryson!!" Tracy and I both agree that would be okay with us!!And because he is so smart (I'm allowed to brag on my own blog, right?) and he was truly saying colors of the balloons on the ceiling of Wal-Mart at the ripe ol' age of 21 months, I do let him say these words any old way he wants to. I know that all too soon, he'll realize his mistake and correct it. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

3 comments:

Havedirt Willshare said...

Let me know how the 'pan-ee-cure' goes...

cara said...

Isn't that priceless???

Tracy said...

I've been meaning to post this forever - I absolutely love the picture of Bryson and Emma! It made me cry. I remember that like it was yesterday - and it wasn't! I'm so glad you have this blog set up. I love keeping up with you and your family! Miss you tons!!